2014/02/04

Milky lights

This is one of my last shots, taken in Hillesøya (Tromsø).

A dark night, good northern lights and a great location led me to try a panorama shot. for that purpose, I had to first set my tripod in a proper horizontal surface, so the panning would be smooth.

Then, I decided to set the ISO value to 5000: I wanted to get the milky way in the picture, and that needs long exposures with high ISO. Then, to get a nice foreground too, I decided to use long exposure (20 seconds) and darken the picture later in post-processing.

I set the camera in portrait orientation (vertically), and shot individual pictures that would overlap 20-30% with each other, for a smooth stitching.

Back home, the process was simple: darken the overall picture, increase the white color to boost the milky way, and then just go to Photoshop and use the Panorama tool that the program has built-in. After processing (it take some time!) I got this final shot.

What do you think about it?
Let me know on  facebook, or send me an e-mail!

ISO 5000, f=2.8, 20 seconds exposure. 10 photos stitched together

No comments:

Post a Comment