2014/02/21

Colorblind lights

I have to admit that I am colorblind. I learned that I had that problem quite late (I was already 20 by then!), so it is not as bad as it may sound at a first sight.

There are three major types of colorblindness, and I encourage you to test yourselves(for example here: http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm). You may be surprised!

So now the question is: how does a colorblind see the northern lights? Or as some people ask me: how can you like the northern lights, if you cannot see the colors? The picture here is an example of how does a "normal" viewing person see the northern lights, and how do I see that same picture. Although I know that there is a big difference between both pictures, I cannot see any.

There are lots of information on the net about this problem (Wikipedia has a lot of information about it), but please, do not feel pity of us colorblinds. We just enjoy life differently!

If you want to see certain pictures from your own as a colorblind, please send them to me and I will send them back "color-blinded"! You can also leave it as a comment on my facebook page. Don't be shy!
ISO 1600, f=2.8, 8 seconds exposure time




3 comments:

  1. Northern lights is the beauty of a sky. It is like a dream to see northern lights. I always like to see this.
    Northern lights photo tour

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the northern lights a few years ago in Inceland and I am also colourblind. I have red-green colourblindness.

    There was a lot of hype and expectation beforehand and we spend a good few hours locating the right spot in the countryside. Hours passed and suddenly people were pointing, gasping and reaching for their cameras.

    I was not, however. What everybody seemed to be so excited by was a few long bands of grey cloud in the sky. Granted they were kind of pulsing and rippling, but apart from that i was very disappointed.

    Its strange. Theres not many times when my colourblindness is brought into relief and impacts anything in my life, but this is one of the times it did.

    Fun fact: rainbows contain only three streaks of colour for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am colour blind reds greens when we went to Iceland we went on a trip to see the Northern lights. I was the 1st to see them forming and by the description of my travel partners including my wife who isn't colour blind I saw it more intensly and brighter than almost everyone else it seems my colour blindness for the 1st time was an advantage.

    ReplyDelete